Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Love (& Happiness!)

It looks as though I've abandoned my emotional blog saga, I think I've actually been working on "being happy" outside of the internet. (My anti-internet mother would be so proud!) Lately I have been controlling my anger, squashing my jealousy, and discrediting my fears. Our 6 mn. old puppy is 95% house-broken and our house/financial issues aren't as pressing or frustrating as I was making them seem. Everything is O.K. and when I crash on the dog-hair-covered couch at the end of the day, I'm happy. It's a matter of loving what I've got, and knowing that I'll never have everything, and realizing that's how life works. I am blessed and it's an incredible relief to open my eyes and see that.

Here's a conversation to relate...
Me (me) :: Leslie (Enzo's puppy-class teacher)
Leslie: You have an incredible dog here. He is perfect therapy dog material.
Me: Thank you! That's our goal some day.
Leslie: He's great. Dog like him don't come around often so enjoy the time you have with him.

"Enjoy the time you have with him."

Seriously, though.


Enzo and Lylee have an average of 15 years on this planet. Their entire lives will be in our care. Our love is the only love they will have the rest of their days. They will wag their tails at the thought of dinner time, walks, and car rides. They will greet us every single morning with a soft lick and happy bark. Their entire lives will be spent with us- but only a fraction of ours will be with them. How incredibly moving is that? I'm on the verge of tears.

Our dogs are so, so happy. Even Lylee, with all her anxiety, is often wagging her tail and smiling. They don't have time to be sad or angry- they live to be happy. That's so awesome. Do they get scared or sad occasionally? Absolutely, but they never dwell on it. I need to be more like my dogs.

"Enjoy the time you have with him." She was talking about Enzo, but this can be applied to ANYTHING. Enjoy the time you have without children. Enjoy the time you have in your 3 bedroom house. Enjoy the time you spend with you husband/parents/brother. Enjoy the 3 days you have on a cruise ship. Enjoy the time.

Enjoy it. Enjoy all of it. New motto? I think so.

"Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice."
Philippians 4:4





No comments:

Post a Comment