Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Green-Eyed Monster

Jealousy is insanely powerful. Lately I've noticed that it consumes me more than I'd like to think. I've been close to swearing off Facebook because sometimes I see a photo or status that make me so bitter and jealous, it ruins my day. How dumb is that?!


It starts with jealously and evolves into:
- anger (someone is doing something that I can't)
- hatefulness (they don't deserve do to something/get something/etc.)
- depression (I'll never achieve/experience/have what they do)

Jealousy is a serious diseases that, unless confronted, grows and flourishes while masked beneath other negative emotions. It's pretty repulsive. 

I discovered my moldy, germinating jealousy when I realized that I have a very hard time being genuinely happy for others. My initial reaction to seeing friends' vacation photos, lavish gifts, and happy moments posted to FB is very hostile and sour. What's up with that?

A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot. [Proverbs 14:30]

Now that I've recognized these festering feelings, I can finally address them and continue on my way to happiness and joy. Instead of scrolling past the pictures on FB and mumbling rude, untruthful things under my breath, I comment and express how cool it is that the person went there/got that/saw this/meet them. Because it IS cool! And sometimes I do cool things and others let me know that they're happy for me. That's how being a happy, kind human being works. (On and off Facebook!)




I don't know where or when this invasive jealous was planted in my soul, but I'm going to take the time to weed it out. When I'm happy for others, I am happy for me... and that's the goal, right? Goodbye, jealousy. Hello, joy.

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. [1 Peter 4:8]


No comments:

Post a Comment